Saturday 4 May 2013

Big Bad Ass Breakfast Rosti

I think I should rename this blog 'A Beggar's Breakfast' as that's all I seem to post, though I'm not sure it has the same ring to it... I'm a big fan of the breakfast. In fact I'd say it's my favourite meal of the day and it's become a weekend tradition now for me to make us a special breakfast on a Saturday morning. I've not had chance to get anything in and the cupboards were pretty bare so I had a quick flick through my cookbooks and a browse on my blogs and came up with this one. It's made up of stuff that everyone has in their cupboards so no need to worry about getting to the shops. I suppose I could've done pancakes but I fancied trying something new and these looked pretty good - kind of a bit like a pancake but more like Bubble and Squeak.






















Ingredients
(for 2)
1 medium potato, grated
1 red onion, finely sliced (I couldn't face grating it)
20g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg, beaten
Splash of milk
Salt & pepper
Oil for frying
2 eggs for frying

First grate your potato and finely slice your onion (you want long thin slices and I'd recommend grating the potato length ways so you get nice long strands so the rosti holds together). Once you have grated your potato put it in a clean tea towel and try to ring out as much liquid as you can over the sink.

Now to make the batter, in a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and the egg until you have quite a smooth runnyish batter. If it is too thick add some milk to the mixture. whisk until there is no trace of flour then season with salt and pepper. Add the potato and onion and mix together until they are evenly coated. 

In a cast iron pan or 2 small cast iron pans (I use my two 8" skillets for perfect individual portions) heat a splash of olive oil. Divide the mixture into the 2 pans and spread out evenly so it covers the bottom of the pan. Leave and cook on a medium heat for about 4 minutes, perhaps a little longer depending on your hob. You want a golden brown colour. Flip the rosti and cook the other side for about 3 minutes.

Meanwhile in a separate frying pan fry your eggs. Now I have always struggled with fried eggs and I usually have to get my fella to do them but today was the day I got a lesson from the master so I have no excuse next time - its gonna be all me. Apparently the trick is to use quite a lot of oil and get it really hot before cracking your eggs into it. You then turn the heat down a little and try to flick the oil up over the top onto the yokes to cook the top. They only take a couple of minutes and there you go - perfect fried eggs.

Serve immediately (we just eat ours from the pans) with the fried eggs, chopped parsley and plenty of brown sauce. Lovely.






No comments:

Post a Comment