Sunday 11 August 2013

Pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and toasted almonds

I see a lot of sweet recipes using pumpkin and I've always wanted to give it a go myself. I remember last Autumn becoming pretty addicted to Pumpking beer, a beer brewed from pumpkin and I made spicy pumpkin soup from the flesh removed when we carved one at Halloween but that's as far as my experience goes. This year I am attempting to grow my own for Halloween and the plant is doing quite well thus far so fingers crossed on that one! So this recipe uses tinned pumpkin (I used Libby's) which is kind of like a puree which you add to the cake mixture which gives it a richer, denser taste and texture than a regular sponge - without being too heavy that is. I think using pumpkin in sweet recipes is definitely an American thing and I did worry a little that they might turn out really sweet and sickly but they were not at all - the spices make them quite similar to a ginger cake and I think these will be perfect comfort food as the weather gets colder. You do not really see tinned pumpkin all that much in the UK but Aldi are selling it at the moment so I stocked up as I have always wanted to use it - I will have to go back and get some more whilst they still have it now I know it is a success!






















I added the toasted almonds myself as I had some flaked almonds in the cupboard so I just spread them out on greaseproof paper on a baking tray, sprinkled them with brown sugar and toasted in the oven at 180°C for about 8 minutes (they smell amazing). You can add whatever you fancy to the top though - nuts, bits of toffee, chocolate drops, coloured sprinkles, or one of my favourites, peanut M&M's.

Ingredients
(makes 12-14)
200g self raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp all spice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
110g butter (at room temperature)
2 eggs
200g white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tin canned pumpkin puree (I used Libby's)

For the cream cheese frosting:
120g cream cheese
30g butter (at room temperature)
220g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

First preheat your oven to 175°C and line your baking tin with muffin cases - start with 12 and see if you need any more.

Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat in well. Add the vanilla extract and mix.

Scrape down the sides of the bowl then add the pumpkin puree, mixing until roughly combined.

Sift in the flour, spices, bicarbonate of soda and salt a bit at a time, mixing together until thoroughy combined - try not to be too rough as you don't want all the air to be beaten out.

Fill the muffin cases with the mixture so they are almost to the top - an ice cream scoop is really handy for doing this. Use more muffin cases if you need to. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted.

Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before adding the frosting.

So for the frosting beat together the cream cheese and butter (an electric mixer makes this really easy) until it is smooth with no lumps. Add the vanilla extract and mix in.

Sift in the icing sugar about a 3rd at a time and mix in well, each time scraping round the sides to make sure it is all mixed in. Now here is where you need to use your judgement as I always find no matter which recipe I use I always have to add more icing sugar as the mixture seems to runny. I have upped the quantity from the recipe I used but you still may need to add more. The mixture needs to be able to stay on top of the cupcakes and not run off. I also try to leave the frosting in the fridge to set for a couple of hours if I can.

Spread the mixture on the top using a wide knife and top with whatever you fancy - in my case toasted almonds. Pumpkin in cake. Success.




No comments:

Post a Comment